On this day a year ago, Shaun and I went to our fertility clinic for our 4th IUI attempt. I can still remember how I felt as we drove through all of the morning traffic to get to the clinic. I was trying so incredibly hard to be relaxed, but I was a mess. We were running late (you can't really rush the important part!) and so many thoughts were running through my head that all I knew to do was to hold on as tight as I could to that plastic cup. After dropping off the sample, we had a nice breakfast together as we always did for our IUIs and then it was time to get back to the clinic.
Here I am on the table waiting for "the guys" to travel looking so hopeful after Shaun prayed for a miracle (one of our many IUI traditions).
We prayed for a miracle, and a miracle did happen that day. God created Henry. And just a year later, I'm sitting here listening to him snooze in his swing. I'm just amazed.
During the two week wait last year I wrote this:
Recently, I’ve been thinking about our happy ending. I know we are going to be parents. God has an amazing plan for our lives, and I have faith that He will give us children. And when that day comes, when we finally hold our baby in our arms, I know we will look back in amazement at how He has provided. If I tried to write my fairy tale story now, it would not even begin to compare to the story my Heavenly Father has written for me.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
It hurt to write those words last year. As hopeful as I sounded, I was drowning in a sea of doubt. I was desperately trying to cling to God's promises but even as I wrote that post I struggled to believe what I was typing. But now I do look back in amazement at the story God has written for us. And it is definitely way better than I ever could have written.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I remember that day well. I was so hopeful for you too, and God proved that He does keep His promises. You have a perfect, happy, healthy little boy now, and even though the road was long and hard to get there, I know every moment of it was worth it for you. (((HUGS)))
I will be posting this same thing in about 11 months!!!!
You brought tears to my eyes!
God is SO good.
Wow. It has been amazing following you through this journey. I started reading your blog shortly before this post and I remember praying for you that you get your baby. Here he is and I am so happy for you.
Dear, sweet Courtney, so happy for sweet Henry and so thrilled to see how God is using you to minister to others - including myself - in this journey called infertility. Love you!
I'm in tears! God is amazing! I too remember this post so well...each month my prayers were with you. I'm so glad that Henry was the answer to your prayers!
I remember reading that post. My heart ached for you, and I'm so happy your dreams have been fulfilled! Henry is a miracle.
Wow! I remember that day. I had just started reading blogs and you were one of my first. I guess I've been a reader now for over a year.
I'm so happy for you and how far you have come!
That brought tears to my eyes. I love that verse! I am so glad for you!Hope sweet Henry is well.
how wonderful!
you know, when we all go through trials and we think "why? why me? why does this happen to this person and that?" OR "why does this NOT happen to this person or that?" we have to remember that we are here on this earth to learn and grow from trials.
it is a comfort to know that if we ever feel alone, we're not. God is here. He hears us. and loves us. and wants us to be happy and blessed.
Hi, I am in tears right now with the beauty of this post. We have been trying for over two years, and have had so many crazy emotional difficult times and wondering if there is a God . . . and I just had to comment. You certainly have a gift to share to the world with your words. Praying for a miracle in Alaska. I am trying to be very comforted that God has a wonderful plan for us and he knows what's best. You have an inspiring story and congrats on your baby! Hugs to you and your family!
Post a Comment