Friday, November 13, 2009

Oh Poop!

Henry is breastfed exclusively, and we are constantly dealing with blow out mustard (yuck!) diapers.  When I hear him start, I immediately grab a receiving blanket to wrap around him to try to avoid getting the poop on me (mostly unsuccessful) and probably 95% of the time some of it gets on his clothes.  We have a big celebration at the changing table on the rare occasions that it actually stays in his diaper.  Those poop stains are tough to get out of clothes!  I immediately rinse the poop off of his clothes in the sink, and I even use my hands to try to get all of the poop off (I know....gross!).  Sometimes the oxiclean stain remover spray works...sometimes it doesn't.  I just got the powder version that I'm going to try to use immediately after a poop in a bucket of water in the tub.  Should I use cold or hot??  Come on girls...I know y'all have some tips.  Pass them on!

Also, wanted to add to Henry's 3 month post that Mr. Henry has now found his feet and his hands.  I wasn't sure when I wrote the post if he found his hands or not, but I now know for sure he has because he grabs my hair every time I pick him up (I LOVE this), and he uses his hands a lot during nursing now.  A couple days ago, he found his feet.  Now whenever I help him sit on my lap, he looks down at his feet with a confused look on his face and grabs his feet.  He also is rubbing his feet together.  Last night, I was brushing my teeth, and Shaun was holding Henry, and I could hear Shaun trying to tell me something, but I had no idea what he was saying because the water was running.  When I came to see what all the fuss was about, Shaun was so excited because Henry was playing with his feet for "forever."  So cute!

It seems that all of these recent discoveries have made Henry less interested in eating.  He would much rather kick, talk, look around.  It kinda makes me nervous because he is eating so quickly that I can hardly believe he is getting enough.  And he is spitting up SO much more.  I had my daily call to his nurse yesterday, but their suggestion was pumping with rice cereal.  And I don't want to do that!  I keep trying to put him to the boob, and he will eat for a little, but then he pulls off and talks.  I had him weighed yesterday, and he gained 10 ounces in 2 weeks, which they said was just fine for three months.  Any advice on this as well??!

16 comments:

Janet said...

Ok, here is my suggestions.... ditch the oxy clean and switch to shout!! With twin girls I SWEAR by this especially now that we are eating baby food and my girls are MEGA messy eaters! I can throw something in the hamper and wash it the next day as long as I pre-treat it with shout before it goes in the washer. My girls also started spitting up a TON around 3-4 months. The doctor said this is normal because their saliva and glands in their mouth are starting to develop. Don't know if it's true or not but as long as he is gaining weight I can't imagine that it is a big deal. Our pedi also told us that it's a good thing when they start getting distracted while they are eating. She says that means their motor skills and eye hand coordination is starting to develop. Hope this helps...but seriously try Shout!

Janet said...

Ok, last comment I promise! What size diapers is Henry wearing? If he is still in a newborn diaper have you tried switching to a larger size so you don't have massive poop explosions? Just a thought??

Heather said...

I second Janet's suggestion for upping the diaper size. Usually when they are having frequent blowouts, it is time to go up a size in the diapers. Mine were exclusively breastfed also and we never had massive amounts of blowouts.

Michelle said...

I too use Shout! LOVE IT! I'm sure all babies poop (even when EBF'd) is different, but we've never had a staining issue...not sure if it's the Shout, but that's my use! And those blow outs...phew, I have a few even from DS that are permenantly in my memory! LOL!

As for distraction/nursing length/weight gain. I know that both of my kids because a LOT more efficient as time went on. I'm sorry I can't remember the age, but DD, now 8 months old has only been eating for 7 minutes (4 minutes on side one, 3 minutes on side two) for a WHILE now. She's gaining just fine (actually quite a chunk) and the few times I bottle feed her, I notice she drinks about an ounce a minute (so, 7 minutes, 7 ounces)....my understanding for an 8 month old is 7 ounces is "normal"...so, I think she's just become that efficient at eating. Like I said, I don't remember her actual age, but I'd tend to think she was 3-4 months old when eating this fast! HTH!

Birdee said...

I just spray "Spray and Wash" on poop stains and wash in cold, comes right out, never had a problem.(I'm EBF too)
For me, (and I know all mom's and babies are different) but I have a (somewhat) scheduled feeding for my son. We "Sleep - Feed - Play - then sleep... agin" to the best we can. I'm no stickler, but I dont let my son snack on the breast. I dont know if you do or not (cant remember) but when he's hungry, he eats, when he starts feeling satisfied, he starts playing (He'll bite too - OUCH!!) so I burp him then, then put him to the other side which he'll eat good again, then when he starts to play (and bite) then he's done. But that seams to work so far. Hopefully it will continue.

I'd like to send you a private message. Will you e-mail me at babybirdee@gmail.com

Cant' wait for the 3 mo pics. =D

Heather said...

our baby is also exclusively breastfed, and i too am on the shout bandwagon. we actually use shout advanced. after any kind of poo or spit-up incident, i spray some of the shout on the stains, and then toss the clothes into the laundry room until the next time i do laundry--sometimes not for a day or two. i also would recommend trying a bigger diaper. anytime we've had blow-outs with our baby, that has been our cue to get bigger diapers--and it always seems to take care of the problem. good luck! your babe is a little cutie!

Rebekah said...

I'm going through this right now, too. Almost every time Delilah has gone since Sunday we've had a huge mess! With her, though, it just goes out the top of her diaper in the back. As soon as I hear her start to go I hold her away from me and run to her room-haha. I've even gone so far as to put her on her changer on her belly so the poop doesn't get on the cover! I don't think its the diapers but I do think I was putting them on too tight. I am going to try what you said and soak her clothes in a bucket. I did this today in the sink w/some oxy baby powder and it almost completely took the stain out before I even washed it. I also use the oxy spray stain remover but I don't spray it on until I put the outfit in the wash because I've had problems with it bleaching out the color.

As far as your other question goes, as long as Henry isn't acting hungry I'm sure he's fine! This has been a big worry of mine as well but I just tell myself that as long as Delilah is happy, sleeping well, and having plenty of wet/dirty diapers then I know she's getting enough to eat. Good luck with everything! Our babies are kind of at the same stage so if you ever have any questions email me at rebahoo@gmail.com.

laura said...

Courtney,
I use the oxiclean spray and powder - i've never used the shout so it might work better. (i've always used the baby oxiclean b/c Andrew has such sensitive skin and i can't use anything with perfumes). It does work better with the warmest water that the fabric will accept. and i've found soaking it for longer helps too. if it doesn't come out the first time, try again before putting it in the dryer.

that's so cute about Henry and his feet! :) and i'm sure his eating is fine, too!

Anonymous said...

Shout works wonders for poop stains!!!! Try it Im tellin ya. Used it with both kids. Cait gets huge poops like that too all up the back and out the diaper. Hope you are doin well. Henry is so cute love ya Aubrey

laura said...

oh, and about his diapers... have you tried experimenting with different brands? the huggies, for example, have the "elastic" across the back which helps keep poop from going up the back of their clothes. with andrew, the huggies worked better for this reason. just a thought :)

Confessions said...

i'm with all those commenters that suggested shout and a bigger diaper size. nobody told me how emotional it would be to go up in a diaper size!! :) Mary Thomas was EBF until 7 months...regarding the stains: i rinse in COLD water (hot water sets a stain), spray with shout, scrub with an old toothbrush, soak in cold water. if the stain isn't gone overnight, i use a little detergent, scrub it, spray with shout and soak again. HOPEFULLY that works!! :)

rocket.queen. said...

Sun! Get the fabric wet with water and lay in the sun. Works like magic every time.

Kristin said...

You have an award on my blog :)

Bernardeena said...

Reuseable nappies seem to contain poo so much better for us the disposibles.

As for the feeding Noah gets so distracted too when feeding now, especially when there is people about which isn't fun! Stick to your guns though, we have reached 5 months today just solely on breastmilk, don't give food if you aren't ready, it is better for them too. My only suggestions are waiting until he is really hungry and sometimes we just go and stand in the corner until he has latched on so there is nothing interesting to see and distract him.

shauna said...

When my little guy has a blowout (he's two weeks younger than Henry) I wash it off with regular soap, then put it in a bucket of cool water with purex baby detergent in it and soak it for a couple hours. It has gotten some *major* poops out of his clothing. I don't know which diapers you're using, I'm using Luvs and thinking about switching because he's been having alot of messes lately. My son is already in a size three diaper (he's 17 lbs) so I know his diaper is not too small. If you figure out what works let us know!

Val, Brax and Harper said...

Randomly found your blog! Congrats on your miracle baby! As for blow outs--- go up a size in diapers! Everyone made fun of me because my son's diapers were (and stil are) up past his belly button, but we've NEVER in his 2 1/2 yes had a blow out!!