Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Fighting Sleep
For the past couple of weeks, Henry has been fighting his naps and nighttime sleep like a little warrior. It all started when he learned how to push up from his tummy to sitting. I tuck him in nice and comfy and the moment I walk out of the room...he sits up and starts crying. Well no one can fall asleep sitting up so I usually have to go in several times to lay him back down. He will scream so loud when I lay him back down but then he usually quiets down until he pushes himself back to sitting again. Eventually, he gives in and just stays down and falls asleep, but this is getting a little exhausting for me and for Henry. Any tips or advice? Or I will even take a "oh yeah I remember that...it will get better soon."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Once he gets up leave him he will find out how to get back down and go to sleep on his own...going in everytime is telling him its ok to do this and will get old really quick for you...crying is ok! Trust me allow it to happen for two nights and you will notice he does it once and gets to sleep fast...you have to train him...start now! I have a 2 1.2 year old who sleeps awesome and has for well over 2 years!
I guess I'm opposite as the previous person, I would go in there and just constantly lay him down, over and over and over. That's what I went through with each of my kids too. I was trying to give the message of, "it's sleepy time, not sit up time, night night baby". It never lasted too terribly long through...and like you said, I knew my babies weren't going to fall asleep sitting up, standing, or whatever was happened. I found each time they learned a new skill, like rolling, pulling up, crawling, they would go straight into that mode at night and almost practice....and then yes, it got better! :)
you know i am not a parent, but i have nannied for years. and my experience with this is to not go back in there once you have laid him down. jenn is correct, by going in there, he sees that this is a way to bring mommmy back into the room. so he screams big time because it didn't work. and will continue until you come in.
so by letting him figure it out, the same with comforting himself back to sleep, he will be able to go back to his great sleeping habits. :)
Courtney, my two do the same thing whenever they learn a new skill - rolling onto their back/ tummy/ etc.
It's crazy, isn't it?
I actually PAID to ask someone about this and other sleep issues ( I am pitiful!) and she said they like to practise their new skills for a few days after they figure something out and to leave them to it unless it gets out of hand (again, you are the only one who knows what "out of hand" looks like for your baby).
My son is 8 months old just like Henry, born on Aug 12th He started crawling early and did sitting up from crawling early too but it only lasted for a couple of days. About 3 weeks ago he started pulling up to standing and would practice that in the middle of the night, anytime that he just barely woke up. I let him cry for about 5-10 minutes and then go in and did not say a word to him and just laid him back down and patted his back for a minute and walked out. I found that for my son, if I said something to him he took that as play time. Instead if I didn't talk to him he would go back to sleep. It lasted about a week and we are back to normal now. On a side note though, my son did have an ear infection during that time (I would never have known it- he was super happy and not really snotty- just a little runny nose from cutting a top tooth- something just told me to get his ears checked and sure enough he had a pretty bad infection). Hope that you and Henry start getting more sleep!
I kind of have to agree with some of the previous comments. If you keep going into his room, he's going to realize that if he fusses just a little he will always get his way. This also may be the beginning of a "teething" issue. Not sure but just a thought. My girls started fighting their naps, and we had difficulty getting them to go to bed at night right around the time that the first tooth showed up.
When I first started sleep training LB, I went in one time to do something (can't even remember now what it was!) but it only made her cry harder and longer. I have never gone back in since and it is so much better. Just put him in the crib and he can find his own way to laying down and going to sleep. Remember consistency is key! When it is naptime (and you know he is sleepy) but him in the vcrib and let him do whatever his little heart desires! Even if he just stays in there and plays. He is in the crib - you know he is safe. With the consistency he will understand that this is naptime & I should sleep! He is def still at the age to need two naps a day. And yes, it's prob a phase and it will go just as quickly as it came!!
Leave him... unless he gets hysterical. He will learn much more quickly how to get back into a laying position. And you never know, he loves you so he knows his sitting up is getting his mommy to come a runnin'. Those crazy boogers. :) You are doing good, honestly, you do what you feel is best. Love you!
i think every kid is different-- goingin & laying them back down works for some, leaving them to cry works for some. it really is individual to the child & his personality. for my boys, if i left them to cry, they would become hysterical, so i would go in as many times as it took & lay them back down, tell them "night night" & leave. it took a while, but it worked without resorting to hysterics. but i am definelty NOT a "cry it out" kind of mom, so this is just my personal experience. you know henry best, so you know best what technique will work for your family. just stay patient & good luck!
p.s. this will happen all over again when he learns to stand up! :)
(answering a comment you left) :)
it is such a cute dress. i LOVE ann taylor! i use to work there a few years ago and got some great deals. i miss it. :)
No real advice, just wishing you well. LOL
My mom always tells me how I would NEVER sleep as a baby/toddler, so I'm probably not a good source! Good luck. :)
Lauren
Hey- to answer your question on my post - yes, he hates being messed with, this includes diaper changes, clothing changes and when its time to actually get clean in the bath. He just wants to explore and play and Mommy gets in the way! :)...Looking forward to Henry's 9 month post!
Post a Comment