Tuesday, April 20, 2010

And I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...

It is hard to even begin to describe the love I have for Henry.  I wanted to share this little story that I wrote for Henry, and I hope to print it out and laminate for us to read together some day soon.

And I Thought I Couldn't Possibly Love You More
Copyright 2010

My heart was beating out of my chest the moment I looked over at the test sitting on our bedside table.  It was positive, and I couldn't believe my eyes.  At that moment, I knew you were with us...growing inside mommy's belly.  And I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...

But then I did.  Daddy was squeezing my hand as we looked up at the screen.  And there you were just as tiny as a coffee bean with a beating heart.  ba bum ba bum ba bum.  And I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...

But then I did.  Weeks later, a nice nurse told us, "it's a boy!!!"  And even though we knew all along, your daddy and I were so happy when we found out for sure.  You were kicking and stretching, and I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...

But then I did.  It was your birthday August 7, 2009 and the doctor told me just one more push and at that moment you came out of mommy's belly and into my arms.  Your daddy and I could not get over how beautiful you were and that we could finally hold you.  You were wide awake just looking around at everyone.  It was love at first sight, and I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...

But then I did.  It was before the sun even rose into the sky, and you and I were awake because as a baby you needed to eat a lot at night.  You stopped eating for a second and looked up at me and smiled.  And I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...

But then I did.  Your daddy had you in the air flying you like an airplane, and you had perfect form like you always do with your head up and your arms to the side.  You giggled so much that you hardly took a breath, and it was the cutest sound I ever heard, and I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...

But then I did.  You were sick with a fever, and you didn't feel good at all.  It made me so sad that you were sick, and I couldn't wait for you to feel better.  As I wiped your soft forehead with a cool washcloth, I thought I couldn't love you possibly more.

But then I did.  You had been practicing for weeks and trying so hard to crawl.  We were playing in my room, and I stacked some blocks up for you.  You took four big crawls forward and knocked them down.  I was so proud of you for trying so hard like you always do, and I though I couldn't possibly love you more.

But then I did.  and then I did again and again.  You see Henry...my love for you will never stop.  It will just continue to grow and grow.  I couldn't possibly love you more than I do today....but I will.

12 comments:

Janet said...

This is beautiful! I have tears in my eyes!

Anonymous said...

i love this! thank you for sharing

Rebekah said...

This is beautiful! He'll love reading this someday.

Phillips Family said...

This is the sweetest story. You should go onto Shutterfly or a similar site and make an actual book with pictures from this to read to him...so special!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Courtney, this is a beautiful beautiful poem for Henry!

I had tears in my eyes - you write so beautifully.

P.S. What is your motherstyle? (see friday's post on my blog)

Lisa said...

Beautiful!!! He will treasure this forever!

Michelle said...

Beautiful....total water works here. I love it!

Candi from PAL said...

That is beautiful!!

Ashley said...

Love Love Love this!

andie said...

umm you just made me cry.

Hannah said...

This is so beautiful! Last night I woke my husband up in tears after a 4 a.m. feeding because "my little baby is growing up and soon he won't want to snuggle with me anymore" (yes I know he's only 6 months). It's good to remember that the older our children get the more reasons there will be to love them.

Bristelle said...

So sweet! I love that you took the time to write down what all of us mommies feel about our babies. How very, very special!