Wednesday, February 17, 2010

For THIS Child I Prayed

Several months ago, I remember receiving a devotion from Sarah's Laughter (you can find more information about their ministry and even an online video chat support group here) about Hannah and the verse that this blog is based on 1 Samuel 1:27 "For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him."  The author of the devotion imagined that if we were able to hear Hannah speak those words that the emphasis would be on "this."  For this child I prayed.  All of the tears, all of the heartache, waiting, and prayers..it was for this child.  The moment that I saw Henry's face...I got it...I remember thinking, "I know you.  I've just been waiting for you."  For this little one we prayed.  I still remember the pain of infertility like it was yesterday, and I still process things through the lenses of infertility but I understand why I had to experience it now.  We were waiting for Henry.  I was just praying for A baby, but God wanted to give us Henry.  I desperately cried out for God to hurry up and give us A baby, but He knew all along that His plan was much greater than ours.  

For this little one we prayed...




and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of Him.

20 comments:

Janet said...

This is the most beautiful thing that I have read in a long time! I can totally feel the love that you have for Henry in your amazing blogs. I got a little weapy eyed reading this because I do know exactly how you feel.

Lisa said...

Amen, sister!

Candi from PAL said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post. We actually have that verse in 1 Samuel to put above Ella's crib.I love it, but have never thought of it in this way.

Your little Henry is so handsome!

Susannah said...

You know this is my verse too, but Courtney, this is so much more powerful reading it like that!

Michelle said...

Wow...that is really beautiful!

PS. My 2 year old just saw Henry's pictures and said, "that baby is SOO cute mommy, he's so cute!" ;)

Birdee said...

Oh! Your post brought me to tears.
Beautiful, and I totally relate and agree.

Confessions said...

yes, yes, yes. amen. beautiful words.

shauna said...

This post is beautiful! We have that very verse up on my sons wall. It is true that all the pain and all the sorrow is gone now.

The Dorns said...

Oh my he is so adorabable.

Robin said...

Oh he is so gorgeous!! And so worth it...

Bristelle said...

Crying!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I'm crying here in South Africa because it is sooo true.

henry is exactly what you were waiting for and my K & C were what we were waiting for

Mary said...

He is so cute!

Indy said...

And your Henry was worth the wait, wasn't he? Our God is an awesome God. I am waiting to see what God has in store for us.

Valeria said...

I am not religious but I find this post to be beautiful. I enjoy your blog. Thanks for your honesty and devotion!

J said...

So, so true!! I'm often wonder if we would appreciate our little miracles to this extent if it weren't for IF. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I'd love to meet up sometime when I'm in Jackson. That would be so fun!

Amanda said...

how wonderful! i love that scripture SO much! we are waiting for our little one too. but we know as well that God has a plan different from ours. we will see why when those little blessings come into our family.

henry is such a doll!

Bernardeena said...

What a fantastic and true post.

Mary Beth said...

Yay! I didn't know you had a blog! You are such a beautiful woman, inside and out. I have always had so much respect for you. You have a beautiful story and your faithfulness in the Lord is inspiring. Thank you for sharing! Henry is such a handsome little guy!!

Andrea said...

Found your blog while searching for the scripture. This verse is my heart and has such deep meaning to my husband and I.

Our miracle baby is due in just 5 short weeks and I thank GOD every day. We suffered both loss and infertility, but through FAITH and HOPE we persevered.

Such a beautiful post.

Andrea
www.persuitofourfairytale.blogspot.com