Thursday, February 11, 2010

6 months....What??!!

So I know that I start pretty much every monthly update on Henry with "I can't believe he is...," but I really, really can't believe that my little buddy is six months old already.  A half of a year!  This was by far the fastest and sweetest six months of my life.  I just love him to bits.  I love the way his skin feels...the way he smells (his breath smells so sweet!)...the facial expressions he makes.  I just can't get enough of my sweet little boy.  This has been a huge month of development and changes for Henry.  He is growing up so fast!

Stats:

Weight- 18 lbs 14 ounces at six month checkup on Monday
75th percentile in height and weight
Size 3 diapers
Wearing size 6-9 months clothes but already starting to outgrow them!

Milestones:

Starting to speak in single consonants...mainly babababa but we have heard dada and mama in there somewhere :).  Love listening to him talk!

Sitting up with little if any support.  I love watching Henry sit and play.  He looks like such a big baby.  He is no longer content for long laying on his back to play.  He wants to be sitting up which requires mommy since he hasn't completely figured out yet that he can't throw himself back.  But I did setup the pack and play yesterday, and he really enjoyed sitting in a corner playing (yay!).
Fine Motor Development--This is where I've especially noticed a significant difference this month.  Henry is getting his hands on everything.  He can grab something so fast that I can't even get it before he has it in his hands.  He picks up small items...rakes or reaches for toys or paper or whatever he can find and transfers them easily from hand to hand.  His paci tricks are pretty impressive.  If his paci falls out in the crib next to his ear or on top of his head, he can reach back without looking and pop it back into his mouth.  It is so funny to watch him on the video monitor.  And he even kept stealing his little friend's toy at a super bowl party this weekend.  Hmmm...wonder what this means for when he is a toddler??!!

Stranger/separation anxiety-- I keep getting paged to calm Henry down in the nursery because he has started crying really, really hard, and they can't get him to stop.  We are working on trying to figure out a sunday and wed night routine that will hopefully prevent this from happening.  His cry is soooo sad...I never hear that cry when I'm around.  It is a very distinct--scared/in pain cry.

Tummy Time- Henry is starting to grunt a lot on his tummy because he wants to move.  He is sticking his butt in the air and starting to tuck his feet under his butt to try to scoot.
Eating- Breastfeeding is still going great.  He is super fast!  One thing that is new this month is that he has to keep his "free" hand busy the entire time he is nursing by touching my face, lips, grabing my nose, pulling my hair (ouch....trying to get him to stop that!)...it is precious.  I guess six months is when most people think it is normal to quit because I've had a lot of people asking me if I'm weaning lately.  My goal is still a year but of course we will just have to see how it goes.  The thought of quiting makes me really sad.  Henry loves solids, and we are now having a breakfast, lunch and dinner.  His favs are green beans, carrots (loves them), and applesauce.

Sleeping- Giving up the dreamfeed this week, and Henry is sleeping through the night now.  Naps are so much better this month thanks to the routine and CIO but if he gets overtired then forget it!! And I almost feel like he might be starting to go to two naps soon...is that possible?

Favorite Toys- Henry loves boxes and anything that doesn't look like a real toy lol.  He also loves his taggie ball and keys.

I have been blogging a lot in my head (does anyone else do that?) so I hope to have time to blog more soon.  Until then....here are some sweet pics from this month.


First time riding without the carrier in the big stroller...he loved it!




First time in the cart without the carrier...liked it for a little bit, but couldn't handle it for long.



First time in high chair



I can sit-up!




Henry loves his jumper saucer


Playing in the pack n play...he loves that book too!



12 comments:

laura said...

cute, cute henry!! i need to do a 6-month post on ae, too! :)

Michelle said...

Happy Half Birthday Henry!!!!!

mandy_moo said...

aw man, he is just so so cute!!

Robin said...

Wow ! 6 months....!

That is a beautiful family picture of the three of you!

Alison said...

So sweet. I can't believe how big he is getting. And yes, I blog in my head all the time and yes, Henry could easily be wanting to go to two naps a day, mine both were at this age. Glad things are going so well. This is such a sweet age.

Elaine said...

Henry is just so adorable!!! Sounds like things are going SO much better in the sleep department! Babywise does work wonders! Little Bug dropped her dreamfeed at 6 months too and started sleeping through the night. Just curious...what is Henry's bedtime?? LB's has been 8:30 (with 3 naps) and now that she is almost to drop the 3rd I'm thinking it is time for a 8pm bedtime. (Just want to compare notes with you!!!)

I think BW says that babies drop the 3rd nap anywhere from 6-8 months (and sometimes even older than that). LB is 8.5 months and she is almost ready to drop it I think. So, if Henry is ready at 6 months I think that is perfectly normal.

Misty Dawn said...

Love the pics! He is growing up so fast!

Phillips Family said...

Happy Half Birthday Henry! Glad you are doing so well! Too cute!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa said...

He's such a sweetie!

sweetpeanme said...

Wow...sitting up...in the high chair...in the cart...such a big boy!!! He is adorable!

Bristelle said...

He is certainly growing up!! What a cutie!

Amanda said...

he is such a cutie! what a beautiful, happy family!