A common question that I'm getting right now as more of my friends are hearing that I'm training to become a doula (along with "what is a doula?"..dona.org has great info on that but I will address in another post) is "what made you want to be a doula?" I really feel like in order to answer this question that I need to start back to why I desired a natural childbirth with Henry and what I've learned about my body since labor/delivery/breastfeeding. So this is just part one :).
Growing up, my mother always spoke of her labor and deliveries so positively that she made me see labor and delivery as something to look forward to in the future. I loved hearing her birth stories growing up (all four of them!) and how she described labor as "Christmas morning" for her. I've always been proud of my mom for many reasons but lately I've come to an even greater appreciation of how she was willing to be different. For example, my dad was the second dad to ever be allowed in the delivery room in our small town (because they asked!!) and my mom's labor and delivery nurse asked if she could watch my mom's first latch with breastfeeding because she "never saw that before." I guess we have come a long way in some aspects of the l&d process since the 1970s :). My mom's descriptions of her labor and contractions made me realize that this "pain" was different. Labor "pain" is different than any other pain that we experience in our life because it is pain that actually means that something good is happening. She explained to me often the importance of relaxing during a contraction as becoming tense made it so much worse. I kept this advice in mind when I wanted to curl up in a ball with horrible menstrual cramps (thanks to endometriosis). One of my favorite parts of my mom's first birth story with my brother Ethan is how she tells about how the first l&d nurse that saw her (checked her) told her that she wasn't in labor and how my mom knew that wasn't true. I love how my mom believed her own body at such a young age when someone older and experienced was telling her differently. I wish I could say that I had the same strength when it was my turn. After experiencing a miscarriage and infertility, I felt that my body was broken and was extremely fearful that my body would not know what to do when it came to labor and delivery and breastfeeding. I can remember answering people's questions about if I planned to breastfeed with "I definitely want to breastfeed if I can" as if my body literally wouldn't produce the milk (which by the way only happens in a very, very small percentage of women). It would be like me saying that I definitely want to get some ice cream if I don't get struck by lightning on the way. I will never forget a comment left on my blog by my friend from high school Elizabeth who is training to be a midwife (yay!) when I was in tears (okay sobs!) over another fingertip dilated vaginal check (which I now know was completely unnecessary...please read this article if you are preg) and the possibility of csection/induction. She gave me the famous quote by Ina May Gaskin..."your body is not a lemon." Oh how I wish I would have listened to the truth behind that quote. I wouldn't have had an elective induction at 39 weeks. I was so terrified of my body not acting correctly or the baby being "too big" that I would "need" a csection that I didn't listen to my gut or my friend. For years, I dreamed of what labor and delivery would be like...making the phone call to shaun to come home from work because I was in labor...resting and breathing deeply in the arms of my hubby during labor...feeling every contraction and knowing we were one step closer to finally meeting our baby. I didn't want to be propped up in a bed while everyone came to visit like it was a party completely unaware that a miracle was taking place. Some women desire that type of labor and delivery and that is their choice (one of the reasons for the high csection rate), but it wasn't for me.
Even though my birth story with Henry has some regrets, it was still the best day of our lives as we met our sweet Henry. The time that we spent in labor were some of the most bonding moments in our marriage. We just needed someone to help us along. Someone who could have assured me that my body works and that I wouldn't carry Henry around for 11 months and to talk to my doctor about my options. Someone who could have told me that I was in transition and that ten cm was right around the corner. Someone who could have make sure that the music playing that was helping me so much would stay on (it kept turning off and shaun didn't have time to fix it in between contractions!) or done something with the alarm that kept going off. Someone who could have gotten my nurse when I needed to go to the bathroom or to remind me that I needed to go (always hurt worse with a full bladder!). Someone who could have given my poor hubby a break who rubbed me without time for food or drink for hours and hours (he told me later that this is part of the reason why he didn't try to encourage me to rethink the epi when I asked for it...oh and he had a pulled muscle in his back that hurt so bad the entire day and didn't say a word about it...wow.).
I want to be that someone for couples in our area who are desiring natural childbirth. I can't imagine what a joy it is going to be for me to guide my first couple through their labor and delivery and first latch. And that is just one of the reasons why I want to be a doula :).
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks for sharing Courtney! That is such a wonderful story! And I am right there with you! I had a scheduled c-section at 39 wks b/c he was breech. Looking back I wish I would have waited for labor to begin and wait to see if he would have turned or try to turn him. Labor, labor pain is all necessary. And society has done a great job on making us fear labor. I would love to be a doula or a midwife, I am so fascinated with the whole labor and delivery science now!
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!!
My doula was such a HUGE part of my VBAC experience. I honestly don't know if I would have continued the courage to go on without her!
I am SO excited to hear that you are training to become a doula! You will be amazing!!!!
My DH and I have often talked about this for me as well. Pregnancy and labor and delivery have become SUCH a passion for me after having my first child and following the whole induction, lay in bed with meds, an epidural, break your water chain of events that lead to an unnecessary c/s! I've learned soooo much, I mean so much since then and now I just can't get enough!
It sounds like you will be a fantastic Doula! Thanks for sharing.
Just came across your blog...
Amazing story! I too am on the road to becoming a doula. It has been a long process so far because I just have so many other things going, but it is one of my greatest passions. Eventually I want to be a midwife. That is where my heart is, for sure! My son is now almost two, but I can remember his labor and delivery like it was yesterday. It was the most amazing day of my life! I had been well educated of natural childbirth while attending midwifery school (haven't finished yet...) and knew EXACTLY how I wanted it to pan out. It was the most beautiful birth. No drugs, no IV, in the tub all the way until delivery (they wouldn't let me deliver in the tub). I want others to experience that. It is truly amazing. Now we are expecting #2 and I am so looking forward to another wonderful labor and delivery.
Can't wait to continue to follow your blog and hear about your experiences. :)
I love this post! You will make a wonderful doula! I've had one delivery with pitocin and an epidural (both were terrible and the epidural didn't work as it was supposed to!) and 3 natural deliveries now and the experience of a natural delivery is absolutely the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. What a blessing you will be to so many women in the delivery room!
Post a Comment